We want to save you time, worry and heartache.
Offering knowledgeable and reliable information about home care when you need it.”

Helen Conroy – Co-director, Riccall Care

Funding Home Care

What can I afford? 

Who can I ask?

What should I do?

The funding of home care is available through your local authority, the NHS and privately.

The level of funding available is based on your, or your loved one’s age, complexity of need, illness and financial situation.

Here’s our brief overview for the referral and funding of long-term home care in York, Selby and North Yorkshire, plus, you can find more information and average costs for your postcode from the BBC Cost of Care Calculator. Click on the link below.

Need money for care training?

If you employ your own care and support staff using a personal health budget (PHB), a social care budget or your own money you may be eligible for funding assistance. Find out more from Skills for Care.

Skills for Care logo

Referral and Assessment

There are three ways to be referred via your local authority and we work with both City of York Council and North Yorkshire County Council.

  1. Self-referral – for this route please visit the following websites:
    City of York Council Adults’ Social Care
    Tel: 01904 61 31 61
    North Yorkshire County Council Adults’ Social Care
    Tel: 0845 241 1307
  1. Referral by a representative – family member or guardian (see above website links)
  1. Referral by healthcare professional – GP, Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) or hospital

Once the initial referral has been made to the local authority you will then be assessed by their Adult Social Care team based on your needs and financial solvency.  This assessment process will set the level of care for which you are eligible and also the level of contribution you would need to make towards your own care.

Once assessed, the local authority team will look to place your required care with an appropriate provider such as ourselves.


There are four forms of funded care available:

  1. Local Authority – in consultation with you or your representatives a provider will be identified and the local authority will fund your care.
  1. Personal Budget – sometimes referred to as a Direct Payment.  This method of funding involves the local authority paying directly to you your assessed level of funding. You may then use this money to select your own provider or providers at the level of care you want. This method allows you to “top up” what care you receive on a private basis, for example, add extra visits or lengthen already allocated visits.
  1. NHS Referral – should someone be referred to us via a clinical commissioning group (CCG), formerly known as a Primary Care Trust (PCT), then they are usually younger than 60 years of age and have long-term medical care needs, which may include illnesses such as Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Parkinson’s Disease and Rheumatoid Arthritis. In this case they would be assessed through the NHS and care is awarded to the most appropriate provider in the region based on need and cost.
  1. Private – this funding route usually includes no local authority assistance at all, although, if you want them to be involved they will visit you and carry out an assessment and provide advice. In the majority of cases private care packages start with a small number of visits and then increase over time, as and when there is a need.

Taking Time to Care

In the case of the local authority and NHS funded care, the length of visits and tasks are usually set out by them.  For private care packages the person doing the initial assessment will decide in conjunction with you, and/or your representatives, the level of appropriate care based on your needs.

Our Care for You

Whichever funding method is used, one of our experienced Review and Assessment team will visit you and your representatives to chat through how your care package will work and we will produce your own Personal Riccall Care Plan to reflect your particular needs.

Attendance Allowance

The Government offers useful advice and guidance about attendance allowance.  It also includes an eligibility section, as well as details on how to make a claim, plus, links to the carers allowance page.

For further information on long-term care funding you’ll also find a good beginners guide on the Government’s Money Advice Service website.